Leaving Orangeburg, SC this morning, I set my GPS for Pilot Mountain, NC, the roots of my Stone line. It was here that my 4th great grandfather, Enoch Stone, owned a plantation and worked it with slaves.I wasn't sure what I would find, but I was up to the adventure.
After traveling for several hours in the rain and temperatures dipping into the thirties, I was relieved to finally arrive in Pilot Mountain. After checking into a motel, I set out to see what I could discover of my Stone history.
I stood there and reflected upon the importance of my Stone name and the heritage that my ancestors preserved and passed down through the generations. It was Calvin Gordon Stone, son of Enoch Stone, that first accepted the church from Mormon missionaries that passed through the area.
All in all, it was a good experience for me to walk and reflect upon my Stone ancestry.

The Pilot Mountain area is not only famous for the Stone family, but also for Andy Griffith. He was raised in this home in a town called Mount Airy, located right next to Pilot Mountain.
The town of Mt Airy, has an interesting resemblance to the TV town of Mayberry. As I traveled through the town I obeyed the speed limit, not wanting to be pulled over by Deputy Barney Five.If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'll head through the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. I understand it has some wonderful motorcycle roads.
See you tomorrow!
That is cool about the Stone Plantation. I didn't know about any of that so thanks for sharing that with us. I heard about your scary story on the road. You are in our prayers and I hope you are safe. We love you!
ReplyDelete