Sunday, March 8, 2009

The East Coast at last!

This morning I attended Church with the Nichols and participated with the blessing of Scot and Cally's baby, Logan. Scot gave a beautiful blessing.

Logan is such a good baby. Last night and today, I never heard him cry. But, wouldn't you know it, as soon as Scot started giving the blessing today in Sacrament Meeting, he started to cry. I think there is a mechanism that goes off when babies are blessed.

I certainly appreciated the hospitality of Scot, Cally, Cary and Pat. It was nice to have "a feeling of home" after being on the road all week. It was also nice for a change to visit with people, who had all their teeth and didn't communicate using the words "ain't," "Ya'll," and "pie hole."

I finally arrived at the Atlantic Ocean and Daytona Beach. Today was the last day of the Daytona Beach Bike Rally. I took a quick drive through downtown Daytona, then checked into my hotel room.

I am looking forward to Penny joining me on Tuesday, when she flies in on the 12:30 AM red-eye from Salt Lake City. I miss her a lot! Thursday is our 33rd anniversary. :)

On my journey to Daytona today, I noticed a sign that said "America, stop sending us your old people." I've noticed that Florida is full of old people. Then I thought, "wait a minute, am I one of them?" I don't think so. I believe I should fall more into the category of middle-aged. That's not old, it's just the middle of my lifespan.

I don't know, what do you think? Am I old? Maybe this list of old people qualifications can help me determine:


1. Everything hurts and what doesn't hurt doesn't work.

2. You feel like the morning after and you haven't been anywhere.

3. Your little black book contains only names that end in M.D.

4. Your children begin to look middle aged.

5. Your mind makes contracts your body can't meet.

6. You look forward to a dull evening.

7. You turn out the lights for economic rather than romantic reasons.

8. You sit in a rocking chair and can't get it going.

9. Your knees buckle, and your belt won't.

10. Your back goes out more than you do.

11. You know all the answers, but nobody asks you the questions.

12. Your arms are almost too short to read the newspaper.

13. You sing along with the elevator music.

14. People call at 9 p.m. and ask, "Did I wake you?"

15. You have a dream about prunes.

16. You take a metal detector to the beach.

17. You wear black socks with sandals.

18. Your ears are hairier than your head.

19. You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it.

20. You can't remember the last time you laid on the floor to watch TV.

Okay, maybe some of the above items apply to me...but do you know any old people that will ride a motorcycle clear across the country, only to turn around and come back home. Maybe I'm more stupid than old? (Don't answer that, I know what you are thinking!)

Well, to close tonight's blog post, I need to recognize someone who has helped me out a lot on this trip and all the other trips I have taken. This person has stuck with me through the heat of the day, the rainy and windswept roads, and has always been waiting just outside my door each morning...It's may faithful sidekick "the Blue Pearl." (My motorcycle)

She has never complained, is always in the best of health and has never broke down. There were some times, cruising across the wide state of Texas, on some very lonely and deserted roads, that I thought I could have been really stuck if my bike had broken down. She never asks for much, just a little gas every 100 miles or so. She and I have gotten really close to each other. Thank you!

As I sign off, I'd like to leave you with one last parting comment:

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."

Good night until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. All I know is that you're older than me Brad! I'll leave it at that! What stinks is there are some of those things on that list that sound familiar!
    That's great you got to participate in the blessing today and that so far you've gone as far as you have safely. I'm sure meeting up with Penny will be great after all your alone time this week!
    While you're down that way you might consider swinging over to Cape Canveral and watch the space shuttle blast off Wednesday night. Last I heard on the TV today is that it's scheduled for night launch on that day. Should be pretty spectacular! Be sure to gets some pictures if you do get to watch it. I imagine that you'll still be able to see it from pretty far off if you don't get too close beings it's a night launch.
    Take care and stay away from the alligators and crocks while you're down that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, thanks for the heads up on the Space Shuttle launch. I didn't know about it. We'll be going down to Disney World in Orlando on Wednesday, so we'll be down there anyway. I would assume that we can see the launch from the "Happiest place on earth?"

    I've got my eyes open for an alligator, as I think it is only appropriate to snap (No pun intended) a few pictures for this blog.

    Weather today is in the low 80's, much nicer than the 30's in Utah. :)

    ReplyDelete