I did "get my kicks, on route 66." Not much to get excited about. It is just an old road that hasn't been maintained. I drove about 5 miles on the old hwy, and then decided that the interstate was faster and smoother, so i jumped back on it.
About 20 miles outside of Roswell, I snapped this photo. Not sure what it is...maybe some of you can identify it.At one point today I realized I was the only person, as far as the eye can see, on the road, so I snapped these pictures so you could see my loneliness.
Crossing the Texas border, I came to the stark realization that Texas has absolutely no mountains, hills, mounds, piles of dirt, or anything higher than a foot or two. This state is as flat as flat can be. And the roads are as straight as straight can be.
On these long straight, flat roads my mind starts to wander and ponder life's great mysteries. Today I pondered these deep thoughts:
Why doesn't McDonalds sell hot dogs? At a movie theater, which arm rest is yours? What is Satan's last name? (Here's a good one, as I'm driving east) How far east can you go before you're going west?
Well, I'll sign off until tomorrow. Just be prepared...tomorrow will probably be a long boring day of nothing. (Maybe I'll ponder some more deep thoughts and have some answers for you tomorrow)
...on second thought, I am going through Waco. :)
Wow dad...Sounds like a beautiful place. Maybe you should look into getting a winter home there. Glad you are safe and all is well. You are in every one of our prayers. Lots of Love
ReplyDelete-Becca, Jared, Taylor, and Kaylee Ogden
Thanks Becca. This trip is a lot different than last year's trip. A lot of wide open spaces...
ReplyDeleteBrad. you're in the western part of Texas. As you move East, you will see some beautiful green, rolling hills. From there, through the other states you plan on seeing, the scenery will be much of the same as eastern Texas. Take Care. Stay Safe. Our prayers are with you. (and take lots of pictures)
ReplyDeleteDerrell
Just try not to doze off and remember that there is no section covering taking photos in the guide to safe motorcycling.
ReplyDeleteThanks Derrell. Great to hear from you. This part of the US is new to me, so I'm encouraged that it will get better as I go east...But if I go too far east, will I start going west?
ReplyDeleteDave:
ReplyDeleteYou caught me doing some picture taking while my bike was moving. I didn't think anyone could see me, as there was absolutely no one on the road...Oh, wait, the picture caught me. Next time I will have a motorist next to me snap the shot. By the way, good day today!
Brad, I saw your deep ponderings at the end of your original post of the day. To go along with those, as you are musing on those long straight highways, if you get going real good, will you start to go bad?
ReplyDeleteBrad, What a great blog! My family lived in Texas for 14 years, so I know what you're talking about...We'll miss you on our board call tomorrow, but will know you are happy and thinking deep thoughts.
ReplyDeleteDiana
Derrell:
ReplyDeleteHmmm. I'll have to think about that one. I think that Mae West said best; "When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better."
Diana:
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of happy...the way to tell a happy motorcyclist, are the bugs in his teeth.
Loving the posts, pops! I agree with David about taking pictures...just remember, if you crash taking cool pictures of no one around you...thre will be no one around you to help scrape you off the road...except the buzzards or course. That is more of a picking, not a scraping.
ReplyDeleteHere are a few more things to think about:
Why do they use sterilized needles for death by lethal injection? -and- Why is it that people say they slept like a baby when babies wake up every two hours?
I look forward to your deep thoughts. They are my favorite. I am at your house now that you are gone but you forgot to fill the hot tub before you left. Just kidding we love you and miss you!!
ReplyDelete